Just gave Tang’s tank (our betta fish) a fresh trim. The carpeting aquarium plant in this tank is Monte Carlo.
While sometimes more difficult to maintain than larger tanks, due to more volatile water parameters, I love how nano tanks look — especially on the bookshelf in my office. In late June 2021, I re-scaped two of my nano tanks. Here are some photos 3 months later.
Currently, the only livestock these tank house is snails. I’ll most likely keep it that way.
Top tank: Low-tech molten glass over wood (<1 gallon)
- Tank — Hand blown molten glass on wood. This is a higher quality one from West Elm that was a gift. It has very thick glass (over 1cm thick!) I would NOT recommend using the cheaper versions of this for holding water, like those found on Amazon
- Light — Nicrew clamp light. Perfect brightness for nano tanks
- Hardscape — Locally sourced granite. What a pain to get into this bowl!
- Plants — Anubias nana petite & microcarpaea minima (carpet)
- Livestock — Bladder snails
- Other — Walstad method with an air pump for circulation (black tube is not co2). Weekly 90% water change
Bottom tank: Low-tech 3.5 gallon long
- Tank — 3.5 gallon Seapora “Betta Breeder” (I would never put a betta in anything this small, but it’s perfect for snails and shrimp)
- Light — Fluval Aquasky Nano light
- Hardscape — Seiryu stone
- Plants — Dwarf hair grass (carpet), Anubias nana, Anubias nana petite, some stray riccia fluitans keep showing up
- Livestock — Bladder snails!
- Other — Low-tech: Small aqueon hang filter and an air pump for extra surface disruption (black tube is not co2). Liquid ferts once a week. Weekly 90% water change
Here’s an outline of the light settings for the Fluval above the 3.5 gallon tank. With the snails, it’s nearly algae free with this light intensity
I constructed a really fun shallow freshwater planted aquascape that sits on my desk next to my work station. Details after the photo.
- ADA cube garden 60-F tank
- basic co2 system
- UNS canister filter system
- Nicrew light
Plants & livestock:
- Monte carlo (carpet)
- Anubias nana
- Mini coin Bucephalandra
- bucephalandra purple blue
- 5x purple rasbora fish
- 6x hastatus corydoras (the cutest fish in the world)
About this Aquascape
Flora (plants): cyrpt undulatus, crypt wenditii ‘bronze’, blyxa japonica, glossostigma elatinoides, hydrocotyle s. japan, fissidens fontanus, Microsorum pteropus, limnophila aquaticum, rottalla colorata
Fauna (animals): angelfish pair, panda cories
Aquarium Equipment: 20oz paintball c02 tank, UPaqua simple regulator, ebay drop checker, coralife T5HO( 6500k/colormax bulbs), ebay 400gph power head, eheim 2215, aquatop 200w heater, play sand, EI fertilizer dosing
29 Gallon Aquascape created by Aquatics AF
About this Aquascape
Flora (plants): blyxa japonica, fissidens fontanus, echinodorus tenellus, Microsorum pteropus
Fauna (animals): angel fish, rummy nose tetra, emerald rasbora,
Aquarium Equipment: 20oz paintball c02 tank, UPaqua simple regulator, ebay drop checker, coralife T5HO( 6500k/colormax bulbs), eheim 2215, play sand, EI fertilizer dosing
“Forests” aquascape created by AF Aquatics
A male betta fish swims in his freshwater planted nano tank.
Tank by jeff golenski.